In this workshop you will learn the basics of assembling a cascading mobile based on the works of Alexander Calder, a sculptor who was known for his innovative mobiles. This practice allows for freedom to incorporate individuality while meditating on the rules of balance and motion. You will begin by designing your mobile and then practice different methods of connecting elements. We will then balance and assemble your mobile to take home after the workshop.
- Date: February 4th, 11:00 – 13:00
- Duration: 2 hours
- Fee: €35
- Language of Instruction: English.
- Materials and Tools: Wire, glass, acrylic. Participants can bring their own elements to incorporate into the mobile as well.
- What will I take home?
A final mobile incorporating glass prisms and individual elements to hang up and illuminate your space.
- Venue: Hae (Sint Jacobstraat 5, 6211LA Maastricht).
- Is the workshop child-friendly?
Each one of our workshops has a minimum number of participants required by the teacher. In case that number is not met, the workshop will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
Lucy had a long-time obsession with mobiles ever since seeing them in the MoMA growing up. After vacations she would make them out of little trinkets she brought home and eventually started teaching workshops at the Neue Nationalgalerie during the semi-permanent Calder exhibition.