INTRODUCTION TO THE KNITTING MACHINE
This isn’t your grandmother’s knitting! Learn how to knit your very own cowl scarf or headband on a knitting machine. Join STRIKKS (a Maastricht-based design studio, lab and brand for knitwear) as they walk you through the basics of knitting on a flat bed knitting machine. In this one-day workshop (with lunch included!) they will cover:
- Introduction to the knitting machine.
- Defining the right stitch size.
- Knitting stripes.
- Trying different yarn qualities.
- Making a gauge swatch.
- Calculating the amount of stitches and rows for a cowl scarf or headband.
- Knitting the product.
Knits produced using a knitting machine have an even texture, and you’ll get a glimpse into the production of modern knit items. Prior knitting experience is a bonus but not essential.
- Date: May 30th (Saturday) 2019.
- Duration: 10:00 – 15:00.
- Fee: €115 (including lunch).
- Language of Instruction: English.
- Materials and Tools: Provided.
- What will I take home? Your own knitted cowl scarf or headband, plus a how-to worksheet on different stitches and knitting techniques.
- Venue: STRIKKS Studio, Capucijnenstraat 21 (in the basement of De Brandweer).
Strikks are a young design studio that creates knitted textiles and textile products for their own brand and other knitwear lines. Located in Maastricht, the Netherlands, they also think of themselves as a knit lab, researching all the possibilities in knitting and its production. They design and develop innovative knitted products and textiles, product lines and collections. Therefore, they have the drive and know-how to grow into a platform for all that is related to industrial knitting.